The XCFL Rules
Learn Them, Love Them, Follow Them!
The XCFL is a content based league where our members are required to write news articles, utilize Twitter, take part in podcast and much more. We are no longer just a show up and play your games league.
The XCFL is not your normal everyday just play your games type of league. We are a content based news and activity league as well. So all members will be required to write news articles, post activity updates and stay active by adding updated content often. and to create, use and maintain team/player Twitter accounts as well.
If you are interested in joining the XCFL, please read our rules, then sign up for our Waiting List and a staff member will contact you within 24 hours. However, please look over the entire league rules and guidelines before asking to join, to make sure we are a good fit for you and vice versa.
User Role: Created Coach (Not Active Coach)
Game Skill: All-Pro (Custom Sliders)
Quarter Length: 8 minutes
Accelerated Clock: 20 seconds
Game Speed: Normal
Injuries: On (Off during Preseason and force win sims)
Pre-Existing Injuries: Off
Fill Roster: Off (Prevent cpu from unwanted roster moves)
Twitter: Yes (League Created)
Twitch/Mixer Streaming: Yes
Advances: Every 72 hours at 10 pm EST.
*Early advances are a possibility after 24 hours, if the remaining games are versus CPU and unscheduled.
*Games must be started by 9pm est. on advance day, unless a commish is informed of a late start.
*If contact has not been made within 24 hours of advance, the game may be simmed or the unresponsive owner put on autopilot.
*If you are going on vacation, or an emergency occurs please inform a commish, update your Discordname to reflect when you will be gone. Your team will be set to autopilot; the opponent must play the CPU or be simmed.
*Any mutual scheduling conflicts, etc., will result in a simmed game, unless one user puts himself to autopilot.
*The Home team is responsible for posting the game including date and time in the XCFL DiscordSchedule chat. This should be posted within 24 hours of advance. Failure to do so will be a warning the first time and player suspension every time thereafter.
- Playoffs are on a soft 48 hour advance schedule, early advances are appreciated.
- All teams will have about 24 hours after Super Bowl has finished to resign their own potential free agents.
- All teams will have about 12-24 hours to complete stages 1-3.
- Stage 1 – Free Agency Round 1
- Stage 2 – Free Agency Round 2
- Stage 3 – Free Agency Final Round
- Stage 4 – Scouting Ends, Draft Waiting Room
- Stage 5 – Draft
- Stage 6 – Draft Recap, Adjust Roster Positions
- Draft begins approximately 1 hour after Stage 3 (free agency), at 8:30 pm Est.
- If you don’t plan to attend the draft, contact a commish, so we can put you on autopilot.
Adjust Roster Positions
- All teams will have 5 minutes (after draft) to view draft recap and change player positions.
- We only play Week 1 of preseason. All teams will have 24 hours to play preseason Week 1.
- We will sim through Weeks 2-4 in 10 minute intervals, giving everyone time to do training, sign FA, or cut players to get down to their 53 man roster.
- All teams must have at least 51 players before first regular season game.
Discord: the Discord App is a requirement for the league it is the communication device of choice for the XCFL. Be sure to check daily for updates and remain active on it.
Daddy Leagues: Daddy Leagues is the main statistical site for Madden. All members must join to be kept in contact with schedules.
View Our Daddy Leagues Site
Twitter: Members of the XCFL will be provided league created team Twitter accounts. Be sure to ask for the login info for your teams account when you join the XCFL.
Twitch: Members must have a Twitch account in order to stream games and submit for complaints. All games are required to be archived, this allows us to watch previous games and pull the video for league related shows or handle game play disputes. In settings (wrench icon), go to “Channel & Videos” and click the box next to “automatically archive my broadcasts.”
All games must be “Twitched”, including CPU games. The AWAY team should twitch each game, but if they are unable to for some reason, the home team can twitch. Members that do not stream games will be subject to league penalties or removal.
General Code of Conduct
All league members are expected to conduct themselves as mature adults. The XCFL community should be a place to meet new friends and have fun. Users are expected to play realistic simulation football and treat other members with integrity and respect. We expect all members to be open to feedback and improving their sim game.
Members caught cheating, team killing, displaying a win at all costs attitude, using excessive profanity, racial slurs or remarks, verbally abusing other members or otherwise displaying a negative or aggressive attitude towards members or site staff will be removed from the league and face a permanent ban from the site.
All members should keep in mind that being competitive and showing good sportsmanship can go hand-in-hand. Treat others as you would hope they would treat you and everyone’s experience will benefit. Abusing any aspect of the game or playing unrealistic/unsim football will be penalized.
We understand guys mess up when getting used to our rules, especially the no usering and no manual ints, defensive freelancing, or switching players while the ball is in the air rules. If this happens pause the game, send your opponent a quick apology and correct it by recreating the situation or punting the ball back to the other team. Do the right thing and find a way to make things right if you screw up.
Please wait 24 hours to calm down, re-watch your game, and take notes before making a complaint. All complaints, arguments, and questions must be done privately and respectfully to an admin. and/or your opponent in DMs.
IN GAME COMPLAINTS BANNED
Members are not to complain to their opponent in game for any reason. Do not send messages about game play via DM, text or any other platform. This goes for game complaints, rule violations or just out of frustration. Do not complain on Discord in any chat room either.
Any member reported for sending complaints during the game and ruining their opponents experience will have a player of the league’s choice suspended for one full game.
If you have complaints about a person’s style or rule violations refer to the complaints rules above for how to handle them.
VIOLATIONS / COMPLAINTS
- Any verbal abuse or personal attacks on Discord will not be tolerated.
- Any game play violations are not allowed.
- The above violations and any other form may result in your best overall QB, HB, or WR, or offending player being suspended.
- Any 48 man roster or salary cap violation may result in your highest paid QB, HB, or WR being suspended.
If you break any rules,
- 1st offense: Warning
- 2nd offense: 1 game player suspension of the staff’s choice.
- 3rd offense: Player suspension and time of the staff’s choice.
- 4th offense: Possible removal from league.
*Staff reserves the right to use whatever punishment they feel necessary for any broken rule.If you are caught abusing any known glitch, punishment could be automatic removal if staff feels it is necessary.
If members still have a complaint after waiting the 24 hour calm down period. Please contact your Conference Commish with time stamps from the Twitch feed of each violation and detailed information about your complaint. Do not just give general statements like “He just ran zone all day” gather some proof and present it to either the AFC or NFC Directors of Officiating for review and bring to bring to staff as needed.
All AFC teams are to report complaints to the AFC Director of Officiating and NFC teams are to report them to the NFC Director of Officiating. Do not go to other staff members with your complaints. Please respect the chain of command in this process.
League Content Requirements
League Content: All members are required to write news articles, post activity updates, keep an active twitter account, and stay active by adding updated content often. To make the XCFL the best Madden league it can be, we would like members to be active in adding team content. Season previews, team news, game reports, transaction news, etc. Members are required to post no less than 2 news articles per season and remain active on Tweeter.
Team news is to be posted in the Team News forum section. Just start a new thread and title it. Be sure to add an image as well, as the best ones will be promoted to the front page of the website.
When tweeting using your XCFL Twitter account simply tag @xcflnetwork in your tweet and it will auto post in our Discord chat.
League Content Requirements
- No less than 2 News articles per season
- Remain active on Twitter
Failure to Meet Content Requirements: Any member who fails to meet league content requirements during the season will be notified and put on probation for the following season. Members on probation will have all trade rights revoked during the probationary period. Failing to meet content requirements in the following season while under probation will result in the member being removed from the league.
Owners should also take the time to read, like and comment on other peoples articles and like and share other teams Tweets. Get involved and take notice of others contributions and not just your own.
Chain of Command
All XCFL League Members must follow the chain of command when reporting disputes or game play issues. This means going to the appropriate level of authority. For instance, a XCFL member would DM a Director of Officiating first before contacting another admin.
XCFL members should not contact the commissioner or co-commissioner about disputes or game play issues unless they cannot reach the directors of officiating or other admins first.
- Oversee all aspects of the league
2. Web Design / Daddy Leagues Updates
4. Manage Staff Members
5. League Voting
6. Trade Committee
7. Magazine Editor
- Manage day-to-day operations
2. 2nd in charge
4. League Votes
5. Trade Committee
- Scheduling Director monitors scheduling
2. League Votes
3. Trade Committee
Directors of Officiating:
NFC – Justin Glen
AFC – TBA
- Direct contacts for member complaints
2. Bring complaints to staff
3. Administer discipline
4. Update discipline spreadsheet
5. League Votes
6. Trade Committee
League Founder & Adviser
Game Play: Offense
Goal line formations may only be used within 10 yards of the goal line or QB sneaks on inches to go.
Strategically mix up your play calling. No abusing certain formations, routes, or concepts.
- Mix up runs and passes no more than 70% either way. This will be monitored often.
- Do not rely on go-to plays in similar situations repeatedly.
A pattern of overusing any player is not allowed.
New spreading the ball around rule (effective 2/9/18)
- Your #1 pass catcher can not catch more than 32% of your team’s total completions throughout the season.
- This will monitored bi-weekly, starting after Week 6 games.
Spread the ball around and attack numerous parts of the defense.
Running plays should be a decent mixture of inside/outside and right/left designed runs.
ZIG ZAG (effective 12/13/17)
Zig Zagging or Left Sticking – running the football in the XCFL has a strict policy against zig zagging. This refers to the motion of running the football in unrealistic directions to abuse AI tackling. Teams must run the football to the designed location, and all movement must be controlled with the juke stick. Left stick movements must be subtle to change direction or to hit the hole.
If a running play is designed to run inside the tackles, run it inside the tackles. Bouncing inside runs to the outside are an exploit. Do not just call an inside run and pull it to the outside unless the play has clearly broken down. Do not take runs on 90 degree angles or run horizontally, inside runs must be at least 45 degrees and move in a forward direction at all times.
No zig zagging in open field with any player when being chased by a defender. Stay on same, Sim run path and let players physical attributes be the deciding factor in the outcome of the run.
Run the exact play that is called, unless an audible is used.
Hot routes must be kept to a minimum and not used to design a brand new play.
Play Action Passing
Teams can use play action on 2nd and 10 and shorter. And 3rd and 6 and shorter.
- Must set up PA by utilizing the run.
- Do not use on 2nd and 10 or more.
- Do not use on 3rd or 4th and 6 or more.
- Do not use PA in 4th quarter under 1 minute with 0 timeouts.
*This is a common sense rule, do not use play action in a situation a real team wouldn’t. Staff can use their own discretion to decide if play action was illegal.
- Only allowed in no-huddle situations
- The defense must be allowed time to see the offensive formation and make quick adjustments
- Allow defense to reset after an offensive or defensive audible
- No instantaneous blind throws without a proper drop back.
- No snapping the ball while the defense is mid-audible
- Players in motion must be set prior to snap, unless it is a designed play.
- Defense must be allowed to reset prior to snap, no quick snaps
Not allowed, except in these situations:
- Read-option and designed QB rollout plays
- Receivers can’t get open (must be a reasonable amount of time to scan progressions)
- Pocket is collapsing and/or the QB is escaping a sack
- QBs are never allowed to stand near the sideline waiting to throw the ball
Playmaker is Strictly Prohibited
USER / MANUAL CATCHING
- No switching or user/manual catching with RB, WR, TE
- No rocket, swerve, face catching and etc.
- You may use the A, X, Y button catches.
- Can not touch joystick while clicking catch buttons.
NO HUDDLE OFFENSE
Allowed in these situations:
- Once per possession
- Within the 2 minute warning of each half
- Losing by 17 points in the 3rd quarter
- Losing by 10 points in the 4th quarter
- Mixing up play calling is still required
4th DOWN CONVERSIONS
4TH Down Rules – You are allowed to go for it in these circumstances:
A) 4th and goal inside the 3 once per game
B) 4th and 2 or shorter, On your opponents 38-43 Yard Line once per game
C) 2nd Half – Down by 17 points or more.
D) 4th Quarter – Under 4 Minutes losing by any amount.
E) 4th Quarter and Winning, 4th and 5 or closer, from the 50 yardline in. (on opponents side of the field & only permitted once per game)
F) Over Time You can go for it at your own risk.
PLAY CLOCK MANAGEMENT
Chew clock is not allowed:
- Unless your opponent requests it, or when leading in the final 4 minutes.
- Letting the play clock drop low every time is also considered chewing clock
- After the 2 minute warning, winning by any amount, and losing team has no timeouts left.
Running Up Score Not Allowed – Please be respectful and show good sportsmanship.
- No score cap.
- 35 points – No offensive TDs, only FGs and defensive TDs are allowed.
- When winning by 35+ points:
- Run on 1st and 2nd down.
- May pass on 3rd down, but only to convert the 1st down.
- FGs and defensive TDs are allowed.
*No super simming of offense or defense is allowed*
*No User/Manual Catching (User Picks) Allowed
Game Play: Defense
- Goal line formations may only be used against goal line or on inches to go.
- Mix up your man and zone plays and try to be as diverse as possible. Use both man and zone defense. Do not just abuse one or the other the entire game. Neither should be used more than a 70% of the time.
- Do not overuse the same play/play concept/formation during the same situation, drive, or game.
- Running the same play/play concept out of a different formation is not mixing it up.
- Do not rely on go-to plays (blitzes, man or zone) in similar situations repeatedly.
- A base Cover 2 or Cover 3 defense should have a mix of Cover 1 Man, Cover 2 Man, Cover 4, 6, 9 and blitzes to keep the offense guessing.
- Try to match the personnel of your opponent on the vast majority of plays, i.e., 3 wr (nickel), 4/5 wr (dime, dollar, quarter).
- No dime, dollar, or quarter formations, unless the offense has at least 3/4 WRs in their formation, verts/hail mary plays or the final 2 minutes of each half.
- Adjustments and hot routes must be realistic, kept to a minimum and not used to design a brand new play.
Nano Blitzing & Any Other Form of Defensive Glitch Strictly Prohibited
- Do not manually move any player until after the snap, unless part of an audible or group movement.
- Do not roam, chase, or cover outside of the play design. If you control a player not on the defensive line you must stay within the play called. If the play is a zone the you have to strafe during the play. (For man you don’t have to strafe but you can’t leave the coverage for any reason until after a ball is caught.)
- 3 pass rushers are required on all defensive plays. QB spy is not a pass rusher.
- No excessive overloading on one side of the center.
- THIS INCLUDES FIELD GOAL BLOCK. If your player moves on purpose or on accident before the snap, there will be punishment.
- No user/manual catching (user picks) ever
- No switching to DB, LB, DL while the ball is in the air, only after the catch
- Do not Switch to a player on defense and Hitstick a receiver before the ball is caught.
- You may use the A (play man) and X (swat ball) moves at will
- If the screen says “User Pick or User lurk”, the rule was broken. If this occurs, punt the ball back immediately
- Offense receives ball at original line of scrimmage with a fresh set of downs
- Abusing of this rule will result in removal from XCFL
*Roaming with any player you control on defense is banned. Stay within the zone or play covered. Do not freelance and chase receivers across the field. If the play called is a zone you must use strafe.
Game Play: Special Teams
- Only 1 Fake Punt or Fake Field Goal allowed per game.
- Only allowed if down by at least one TD and past your own 40-yard line.
- Only use Punt and Field Goal formations on special team’s plays.
- Do not manually move players to set up blocking
- Do not punt out of bounds every play
- No pooch punts or extremely short punts that cause camera glitches and uncatchable balls
- No “Sky Punts” (Pressing Y before starting the meter)
- All punts should land in a catch-able area barring wind driving it out of bounds
- If you are across the 50 yard line, you may punt the ball out of bounds to pin opponent deep (coffin corner punt).
Preseason and Regular Season:
- Allowed to sign one free agent per week over 71 OVR and above
- Allowed to sign unlimited free agents all season 70 OVR or under
You are ONLY allowed to CUT players who are 74 overall and LOWER during the season to make room for cap. Any player that is HIGHER than 74 OVERALL must be released during the OFFSEASON (Re-Sign Stage or FA Stage) to prevent collusion and allow for all teams to bid through Free Agency. These overalls will be determined by the players DaddyLeagues rating. ** NO EXCEPTIONS **
Do not cut free agents during the playoffs. No teams should sign FA after the completion of their Week 17 game. If a playoff team has injuries occur in Week 17 that they must fill, it should be brought to Commissioner’s attention and must be approved to sign anyone after Week 17 game is completed.
You are not allowed to offer 6 or 7 year contracts, unless the player is requesting one. Then you MUST send a picture of the screen showing the player asking for 6 or 7 years to a staff member.
- All bids must be realistic and fair. You may not offer less than 50% of what the player is asking for in years, pay or bonus.
- If you release a player to save cap room then attempt to resign them, you may not offer any less than what the player is asking for in years, salary or bonus.
- No trading of free agents during the same season you signed them.
- Staff reserves the right to make certain players ineligible for bids based on confirmed glitches where players fail to resign and other issues that may occur.
- If staff determines winning bids are unrealistic, we reserve the right to cancel or nullify those bids and the team will be stuck with the subsequent cap penalty.
New Trade Rules for Madden 19
- All traded players must remain with new team for remainder of season
- No trading with CPU teams
- Rookie 1st & 2nd rounders cannot be traded for 2 full seasons.
- Teams cannot have more than TWO 1st round picks in a single draft.
- Playoff teams cannot trade into the top 10.
- Can only trade 3 for 3 max.
- Max of 4 trades per season.
- Teams may NOT trade their 1st round pick in back to back seasons.
- If a team trades their current year 1st rounder, they may not turn around and trade for someone else’s that same year.
- If a team acquires TWO 1st round picks in one season, they cannot have TWO 1st round picks the following season.
Trade committee approval of trades is determined according to fairness, cap penalties, big names, draft round, logic, member standing and welfare of the teams and the league.
TRADE SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
- Trades must be submitted via the XCFL Trade Submission Form
- Trades must get three approvals by the trade committee
- Trades may then be processed on the console
- Trades processed before approval will be voided
- No team may obtain more than two 1st round draft picks at one time
- No playoff team may trade into or acquire a top 10 draft pick during the off-season.
- All trades are final, unless both parties agree to have it voided
TRADE SUBMISSION FORMAT
Contract Yrs Remaining:
Total Signing Bonus:
Total Season Cap Hit:
Draft Pick: (season and round)
Teams must maintain a 51 man roster (61 with 10 from practice squad)
The following adjustments are allowed:
- FB > HB
- TE, FB <> TE, FB
- T, G, C <> T, G, C
- DT, DE <> DT, DE
- OLB, MLB <> OLB, MLB
- CB, S <> CB, S
- DE, OLB <> DE, OLB, only with league admin approval.
51 MAN ROSTERS
- User teams need 51 players prior to Week 1 of the regular season to play. User teams may not have less than 51 players at any given time during the regular season.
- Team’s are only allowed three total steals from other teams practice squad per season. (Preseason Week 4 – Regular Season Week 17)
When playing CPU games all human vs human game rules are in effect, including streaming the game on Twitch/Mixer.
Disconnects / Sync Issues
- 7 or less score differential, full restart
- 8-34 score differential, resume game from previous spot (score, possession, field position, time). Score differential must be reestablished
- 35 or more score differential, game is final, play CPU or ask for forced win
- 27 or less score differential, restart game from previous spot (score, possession, field position, time), but only play the 1st half. Score will be unseen, but implied, remember this when determining the winner, play CPU or ask for forced win
- 28 or more score differential, game is final, play CPU or ask for forced win
- 20 or less score differential, restart game from previous spot (score, possession, field position, time), but only play the 2nd quarter. Score will be unseen, but implied, remember this when determining the winner, play CPU or ask for forced win
- 21 or more score differential, game is final, play CPU or ask for forced win
- Exit game before halftime, once outcome is determined. Conceding in the 2nd half, will make game final, disconnect your internet if this is not desired
- If an opponent doesn’t respond within 15 min of disconnect, they will go AP
- If one player was losing and wants to go on AP, they can
- You may chose to restart and play the whole game, no matter when occurred
- Intentional Quit / Disconnect Is Forbidden
Play Book & Player Attributes Updates
Members must play 7 games before they are allowed to use a custom playbook. All members must show their Playbooks at the start up screen before starting every game.
PLAYER ATTRIBUTE UPDATES
Both Speed and acceleration are not to be upgraded past 94 points for any one player. Any member caught upgrading over 94 points for either Speed and/or acceleration will have the player given a PED suspension for one full season and lose any points added to the player with no compensation.
All league members are required to read and know these rules. Rules are subject to change. Any changes made to rules and sliders are to ensure a fair and balanced playing field. In the event that a change is made, all members will be notified and any amendments will be clearly outlined.
All new members must answer this question to confirm they have read the rules,
“What do you love most?”
With…… : “I LOVE TITS.”
Please let the person recruiting/helping you join, know that you have read, understood and agree to the rules. When you are ready to face some of the stiffest competition available, then contact the league’s administrators.
The XCFL staff reserves the right to remove any member from the league, if violations occur or for any other reason deemed for the betterment of the league.
We hope these rules clarify and help you understand what a “SIM” league is. We appreciate any feedback that can make this league successful and last many years to come. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please ask at anytime.
Enjoy the XCFL, as if it were your own.
Good luck and thank you.